Every August we journey 4 hours east of Wichita to Stockton Lake, in good old Missouri. It's always a nice feeling to see that "Welcome to Missouri" sign as we cross the border into the place I still call "home." Nathan's Dad has a beautiful sailboat that they bring down to the lake and we all just enjoy sailing and being together for the weekend.
As with any trip it always requires a lot of packing and planning on my part. Which requires a lot of independent (and hopefully safe) play on the boy's part. Here are a few pictures of how they kept themselves entertained while I was preparing for the trip this year.
So, Grant isn't so good at the whole "safe independent play" thing just yet. It was a bit difficult getting things done while keeping track of him and his Munchkey antics.
As I was packing the boys clothes Grant was standing towards the back of the closet growling (much like a tiger). It took me a while but I finally realized he had discovered the tiger costumes that were hanging back there. My mother-in-law bought them several years ago for Leah and Dylan. Luckily, they are currently the perfect sizes for Dylan and Grant!
So, we had a tiger cub invasion...and the boys LOVED every second of it.
I had to make a few trips to Wal-Mart and Target to pick up a some things for the trip. On one of those trips to Target Dylan saw this slugger toy that he really wanted to have. It was on clearance for $5, so I caved and let him have it. It can be turned inside out and made into a baseball. (Kind of reminiscent to those old Popples...does anyone else who grew up in the 80's/90's remember those things???)
Grant took good care of Leah's baby while she was at school. It's so sweet to see him kissing it so sweetly. Almost makes me sad that he'll never get to be a big brother..."ALMOST" being the key word there. Ha!
Once Leah arrived home from school Friday we loaded up the car and headed east.
We may have stopped at Wal-Mart in Nevada, MO to buy Leah some underwear. Hey, I have 5 people to pack for, I am bound to forget something. I'm just glad I realized it before we got all the way to Stockton where we would have had to drive 30+ min to find any to buy. The kids were as well behaved as could be expected I suppose. I really had hoped they would eat dinner and pass out. I guess they were too excited to sleep.
One of my favorite parts of the trip is all of the yummy food that we get to eat!
The kids loved grandma's pancakes the first morning we were there.
| I didn't think to bring Grant's booster seat for the table so he got to sit at the table and eat like a big boy. He did pretty well considering. |
Dylan has been begging us to take him fishing this summer. He also has been requesting a Spider-Man fishing pole. Grandma to the rescue!!! When we arrived at the lake, Grandma presented him with is Spider-Man fishing pole.
As you can tell by the following pictures he was a "little" excited about it.
Not to be excluded, Leah got a Princess fishing pole. They practiced their casting over deck of our cabin.
Does this next photo make anyone start whistling the theme song for the "Andy Griffith Show"????
I had to resist the temptation all the way down to the dock.
There was lots of sailing to be had.
| Doesn't everyone wear a tie to go sailing??? |
| Someday she will be sad that every picture we have of her looks like this. I believe her Grandpa told her that her face might freeze like this if she didn't stop. |
The key to Leah's happiness (and everyone else's "stuck" on the boat with her) is to keep her creative mind entertained and occupied with something at all times.
Daddy and Grandpa have conceived a brilliant activity for her.
They ask her to draw a treasure map while we are sailing. She looks for visual land marks and draws them on her map along with a line showing the route we have sailed.
BRILLIANT!!!
Saturday was a beautiful day for sailing!
My captain.
Caught the boys actually getting along for a second while enjoying some iPad time together.
My mother-in-law and I were talking at one point and looked over to find Grant looking very much in charge of the TV remote.
| Looking like a little man. |
Saturday afternoon, Grant and I napped, while everyone else went to the beach for a swim and then visited the park not far from our cabin.
One of the highlights for the kids (and for the fish) is to buy fish food at the marina store and feed the fish.
| I remember wearing Grant in the Moby wrap while watching the big kids feed the fish last summer. Now he IS one of the big kids feeding the fish. *tear* |
Sunday morning everyone but Grandma, Grant, and I went out on the sail boat for a fishing adventure. Grant took a wonderful morning nap while Grandma and I enjoyed 2 hours of lovely uninterrupted conversation.
Then that afternoon it was finally time for Grant's maiden voyage in the sail boat!
Nathan and I took him out and for the most part he seemed to enjoy it. However, sadly, there was no wind, not so much as a breeze out on the lake. Which translates into not so great sailing (a.k.a. sitting still) and sweating A LOT. Poor guy was getting pretty warm with the life jacket on so we decided to head back in about 15 min. into our journey. Even though it wasn't the best/longest sail, I am still glad we were able to get him out there.
| The new sideways wave he started doing while we were at the lake. IDK? |
| Miller Family Photo Stockton Lake 2013 |
As always, we all had a really great time and look forward to next year!
| This lasted approximately 5 min, but it was a glorious 5 minutes out of the 240+ minutes it took to get home. |
No comments:
Post a Comment