Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Observations Thus Far

Well, it's happened...I put milk in my tea today.  Does this make me British?  All kidding aside I really enjoyed it.  Doesn't really change the flavor, just makes it a more substantial beverage.  They left a bunch of these in our flat....














and they are pretty tastey!

I started out planning to call this post a "Pros and Cons List", but I didn't want to put out a negative vibe with my "Cons" list, because I have honestly overall thoroughly enjoyed this adventure so far.  So, I decided to refer to these things simply as "observations" I have made over the last couple of days in the UK.    So here we go...

#1.  I am not a fan of this washer and dryer all-in-one combo thingy they have in our flat, or the fact that it's right next to my oven.  Dirty clothes in my kitchen grosses me out....true story.

 It takes literally, this is no exaggeration, 3+ hours to complete a cycle after which the clothes are never fully dry...EVER.  Today I will only get one load done because as I was pulling my clothes out of the washer/dryer I realized that they still smelled like dirty clothes.  The tablet had not dissolved thus wasting my entire day of laundry effort. Bet ya can't guess which list (pros or cons) this one was on...Hahahaha!!!




#2.  The traffic lights here are awesome!!!  They go from red to yellow (so you know it's about to turn green) and then to green.  A dream for people like me who like to waste no time at lights and feel the need to gun it as soon as the light turns green.  I have a little aggression problem when it comes to driving...consider yourself warned people.

#3.  We American's have become spoiled with all of the anti-smoking laws.  Our second hand smoke exposure has doubled, if not tripled, since being here.  My American children have, on more than one occasion, expressed their disdain for the "stinky smoke smell" as we are sitting in restaurants, playing in the park or just walking down the street.

#4.  Weather is AWESOME....'nough said.

#5.  The intolerance people here seem to have for families with more than 2 children.  Tonight I was flat out told by an employee at a department store (where my kids were actually behaving them selves for once) that "Wow, 3 is just too many!  Way too much responsibility".  He had a heavy French accent so I just chalked his rudeness up to poor English.  But it's not the only time this type of thing has happened on this trip.  I just need to grow a thicker skin I suppose.

#6.  The British lifestyle is already agreeing with my waist line.  I am wishing I would have thrown in some belts when I packed.  Between all the walking and either not having time to eat or not particularly enjoying what I've ordered I am bound to lose all the baby weight I am still carting around from Mr. Grant.

#7.  This....
   


















happens A LOT.  The women over here sure do like their spandex.  It doesn't matter what size or shape they are spandex pants and shirts that don't cover the bum are what people are wearing.  I guess I will be sticking out like a big fat American sore thumb on this adventure, because there is no way you will see this bum squeezed into spandex.  How they do not feel naked when doing this is beyond me.  I wore spandex shorts in high school for volleyball only because I was forced to, and I would STILL feel naked walking down the street in pants like this.  In all fairness I'm pretty sure everyone who saw me today in my American mom gear (a.k.a. yoga pants, t-shirt, and Mizzou hoodie) probably thought I was crazy for wearing what could only be my pajamas or "jim -jams" as they call them here.  To each his own.

#8.  Facing your fears can actually be a wonderful and fulfilling experience.  I highly recommend it!  The thought of living in another country for any amount of time terrified me.  Though we are only 3 days into this adventure I am already SO glad I am here learning about a different culture and making so many amazing memories with my hubby and sweet babies.   

I also must add that being in a different country on September 11th is certainly a different experience.  I am so thankful to those who have fought and those who fight for my freedom every day.  I was certainly thinking about and praying for the families of those lost on 9/11 today.  God Bless America!!!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys are having lots of fun and it is a good experience for all of you. I have never been over seas but have always wanted to go.

    I agree with you on #7 I will NEVER be wearing spandex. I would feel naked too. I have noticed quite a few girls (all sizes and shapes) wearing spandex on the WSU campus. Most don't even have shirts long enough to cover their bum.

    I would hate having my washer/dryer right next to my stove. I do agree with you on not wanting dirty clothes in the kitchen, but because our house is so small we have to have the washer and dryer in the kitchen next to the freezer and fridge. I hate it and in my next house it will be in a separate room.

    Hillary (from FB)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having a GREAT time! Thanks so much for reading! :)

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you are enjoying this it is a wonderful experience for you and thir family.......8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dad! Thank you for your encouragement to go. It has really been a great experience (aside from the flight over). Though, even that was probably not as bad as I felt it was. One passenger did complement us on how well the kids did. Anyway, it has been a wonderful opportunity for us all and I am really glad I sucked it up and came over this time. Miss you guys terribly though. Love ya!

      Delete