Hello there! We are fresh off of our adventures today in the Cotswolds.
I know what you're thinking, "What is a 'Cotswolds'?" That was exactly what I asked Nathan this morning as we were readying our selves for today's adventure. The Cotswolds are a range of hills in southwestern and west-central England, an area 25 miles across and 90 miles long. Luckily, we didn't have far to travel to reach this area.
Our trip began pleasantly enough, or so we thought.
This is what a "range of hills" do to children who don't ride in the car very much these days...
Poor Grant was flanked on both sides by queasy tummies.
Thankfully no one actually got sick. Once we got out of the car everyone was fine.
Also, this happened...
It's been a wee bit rainy here. Pretty much off and on all last week, which has caused some serious flooding in the UK. Here is an article about it...
Our first stop, once we forded the river, err...I mean road, was in Bourton-on-the-Water.
Leah venturing out into the swollen River Windrush that runs through the village.
Sadly, I'm guessing with the rain we are going to be getting tonight and tomorrow there will be some flooding here. That water was really moving.
They have a really cool miniature model of their town that you can walk through.
The houses and trees and miniature cars were all so cute!
We had some delicious fish and chips for lunch. The kids got to see Santa!
They saw this one outside of the restaurant, but the "real" Santa walked into the restaurant while we were eating. Let me tell you, if I could pay someone to pop their head in dressed as Santa every time we eat out I would TOTALLY do it. After his appearance we had the most well behaved children I've ever seen. Ha!
Including this little stud muffin.
Too much? I know I couldn't stand it either. Possibly my favorite pic from today.
After lunch we hopped back into the van and headed up to Stratford-upon-Avon. You may have heard of this place before. It's where a famed writer named William Shakespeare was born and raised.
The black and white architecture is so neat!
This is the side of the house that Shakespeare last lived in. They are doing an archaeological dig next to it to see what artifacts they can find.
This is the house where Shakespeare was born in 1564.
Doesn't look too shabby for a house that's over 400 years old, huh?
We had a fun time walking around Stratford-upon-Avon.
We were glad to find that it wasn't Stratford-underneath-Avon (Avon is the river that runs through it, in case you haven't picked up on the English's not so subtle system for naming towns and villages.)
Everyone lets their children play in rushing flood waters, right? It seemed to be the thing to do today.
Along our walk we saw many things. Including this fine, I'm assuming homeless man, who was not so subtle about fishing out all of the coins in the fountain. Makes you thankful for what you have, doesn't it?
The kids enjoying some ice cream across the street from Shakespeare's birth place.
Please pray for those effected by the flooding here in the UK. It was so disheartening to see the devastation and to know that there is probably still more to come before it's all said and done.
We made it home safely and looking back on it we had a pretty good day exploring the Cotswolds.
No comments:
Post a Comment