Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Chillaxing Weekend & Sick Kiddos



We enjoyed a weekend at home.  It was full of relaxing family time and fun in the sun.

Dylan put this outfit together by himself.  He said, "Mommy I have to wear my tie today so will look handsome."  I commended him on his excellent job of color coordinating and his handsome tie, but was quick to assure him that he looks handsome all the time even without a tie on.  
Love this sweet handsome boy.

Saturday we all went to the water park at the Y.  We let Grant hang out in the Kidzone again and the rest of us had a blast splish splashing and riding around the lazy river (Mommy and Daddy's favorite thing to do at the water park).  Leah and I shared a double tube in the lazy river and she was very proud to be able to sit by herself in one of the seats.  It was a bit windy which made it a bit chillier than one would have expected on a hot summer day, but we all had a great time none the less! 
D and I trying to warm up and dry off a bit.

Sunday Nathan woke up early and went for a bike ride.  He told me that he was almost "cold" when he started out that morning.  I am so thankful for the cooler temps!
Once everyone was up and ready to go we headed to Sedgwick County Park to play for the morning.

We began at the always fun play place.
Beautiful Girl
 Grant was acting really tired and I thought he was just ready for his nap a little early.  Later in the day I would find out I was wrong. 
Grant chilling at the park.

Part of the reason we decided to go to the park was to enjoy some delicious pizza from the Hopperoni Express for lunch.  Our favorite local pizza dive, Wichita Brewing Company, recently opened this mobile  wood fired grill.  We were so excited to finally get to try it out.  Nathan had the privilege of enjoying it for lunch last week when they were in old town close to Airbus.  Can't beat a 10 inch pizza in 3 min. (that's one hot oven!!!) for $6-$8.  It was really yummy and just what we needed to fuel us up for our bike ride. 

Well, maybe not for Dylan.  He only lasted about 5 min. and was ready to call it a day.  I also thought he was just tired from a busy week and late bed times...again, later I would discover I was wrong.  

Once we got home it became very apparent that Grant was not just merely tired.  He was definitely coming down with something.  He had a fever of 101.8 and crashed in his bed as soon as we got home.  The rest of the time he was awake during the day was pretty much spent crying and whining.  I felt so bad for the poor guy.  He was obviously not feeling well.


Dylan is also fighting off something.  He has had a low grade fever off and on and has mostly been struggling with a lot of drainage.  We have to get these boys well again so we can be ready to celebrate the 4th of July!    We are headed to the doctor on Tuesday for Dylan's 4 year check up and I am hoping Dr. Haynes will be generous enough to give Grant the once over while we are there too.

Sunday night Nathan made he and I some delicious curry.  I love a good curry, but I also love not having to cook dinner just as much!  It is always a treat when Nathan makes his chicken curry and I must say it seems to be tastier each time he makes it.  It tastes so much like the amazing curry we enjoyed while living in England.  


Speaking of cooking, as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I have been doing a terrible job of meal planning/prep.  So, I am determined to get back to the grind.  I purchased this little dry erase calendar about 7 years ago when we were living in Albuquerque (YIKES has it really been that long ago???).  I have since then used it, almost, religiously.  We don't always eat what's on the calendar for that specific day, but I at least know what our options are with a quick glance at the calendar.  I usually purchase all 2 weeks worth of groceries in one, sometimes two, trip(s) to the grocery store.  It can be an exhausting, time consuming chore, but I like to know that we are eating good home cooked meals and not eating out too much.



 I am also attempting to get the kids on some sort of snack schedule.  If I had a penny for every time I hear "I want a snack!!!" during an average day I would be a RICH Momma!  So I compiled a list of fun/healthy snacks that we are going to try out over the next couple of weeks.  
Today it was our "gone fishin'" snack.  The idea is they use the carrot for a fishing rod, dip it in the Ranch dressing, and then "catch" goldfish crackers with it.  They thought it was fun, but ended up just eating the carrots and Ranch, which was fine by me!


So there you have it our weekend in review.  The calm before the storm.  We are all so excited to head to P-Hill for the 4th of July holiday weekend.  Hopefully we can get everyone well before then.
Grant had an icy pop for dinner tonight.  I think his throat is sore.  It's so hard when they can't tell you what hurts.

Hope you all had a great weekend as well!  Wishing everyone a fun and safe 4th of July!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment