Monday, July 15, 2013

No Difference

Tonight I had planned to write a post about our weekend.
However, I feel compelled to write about something else instead.

It's a topic that has saturated the national headlines quite a bit in the last few weeks.  From Paula Deen, to, Zimmerman, even to one of my favorite guilty pleasures "Big Brother". Of course I am referring to the ever present issue of racism.

I'm not going to go into my feelings about the Paula Deen thing, or even the Zimmerman verdict.  I will say that it was down right painful and nearly unbearable to watch the episode of "Big Brother" that CBS aired tonight.  We all know there are "Aaryns" out there in this world, but it's not everyday that all of us have to hear/see the disgusting behavior she displayed tonight and in previous episodes.

Tonight at bed time Dylan carefully selected the book "Where the Sidewalk Ends" for his bedtime story.
I just opened it up to the middle and began reading whatever was there on the randomly selected page, as I always do with that book.
This is what we read...

No Difference

Small as a peanut,
Big as a giant,
We're all the same size
When we turn off the light.

Rich as a sultan,
Poor as a mite,
We're all worth the same
When we turn off the light.

Red, black or orange,
Yellow or white,
We all look the same
When we turn off the light.

So maybe the way
To make everything right
Is for God to just reach out
And turn off the light!


Maybe if everyone read a little more Shel Silverstein while growing up the world would be a better place.
Just maybe.
I know that I can't change the world all by myself, but I do know that I will sure raise three children who see everyone as we do "when we turn off the light".

No comments:

Post a Comment