Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fun Despite the Chill In the Air


I have spent the better part of last week and this weekend fighting with Blogger.  I think I'm a pretty nice and easy to get along with kinda girl, but sometimes Blogger just likes to toy with me.  Any who, my awesome, handsome, loving, intelligent, the list goes on for miles...husband has figured out a way for Blogger and I to get along.  So, hopefully I can blog more frequently without the need to re-write blogs 4 times over 2 days to get them to actually post.  So here is "take 4" on this blog...enjoy!!!

Hello.  It's cold here ya'll.
I hear it's a bit chilly back home as well.  I am so NOT ready for winter, I never am and I never will be.  But since we can't afford to move to Hawaii for the winter (someday I WILL make this happen), I just have to suck it up and bundle up and forge on.

This was our motto on Friday, the first "cold" day we've experienced here in Bristol.  Have I mentioned how thankful I am that my hubby only works half days on Fridays?  It makes it feel as though we have 3 days every weekend to go do fun things, rather than just 2.  Anyway, back to Friday.  When Nathan got home we all piled in the mini van and headed to a small town about 45 min. south of Bristol called Wells.  We were in search of yet another gorgeous cathedral to admire for the afternoon.  We were not disappointed.




The 5 min walk from the car to the cathedral was a rather cold one.  I believe it only reached the mid 40's that particular day and it was windy and sprinkling, which didn't help either.  However, I must say the "suffering" was well worth the reward.  Wells Cathedral is so beautiful!







The cross arch in the center of this picture was put in as supports after an earthquake damaged the building.  I have got to hand it to all you Catholic folks.  You sure do know how to build beautiful places of worship!  We also enjoyed a delicious tea at the little cafe in the cathedral that warmed us up nicely after our chilly walk to get there.  As Nathan says, "Churches with cafes are cool!"


On the drive back to Bristol we couldn't help but marvel at the beautiful fall leaves.  Someone at work told Nathan that usually by now there has been a hard rain and the leaves all get knocked off before they get really beautiful.  So thankful that we are able to see them.  I have been a little bummed about missing out on pumpkin patches and apple cider and all the "fall" things I love so dearly.  So the leaves have served as a pick me up in that respect.

 Saturday was another chilly day, again with highs in the 40's.  We decided to go check out a highly recommended sight called the Bowood House.  It's about an hour drive east of Bristol.  There is a house to tour and a lot of play places and fun things for the kids to do.  The fall leaves were also another added bonus.  It was such a beautiful drive and the trees at Bowood House were just as gorgeous.


The kiddos were all bundled up and ready to brave the cold.
Phew, so glad I didn't wear my heels.  Ha!  They certainly do have the BEST signage here in the UK.  This dandy was posted at the entrance to the play area.










  


















This was the beginning of the obstacle course. Grant decided he would hang out on the ground with Mommy.  He's a smart boy, what can I say?
Leah made it to the top in no time flat.  Probably all that practice she had at the Zooropia course last weekend.  D and Daddy made their way slowly but surely.  He was determined to do it.














They all had so much fun climbing around like a bunch of monkeys!!!










Did I mention how gorgeous it was there?




The Bowood house has quite the rich history to it.  It's currently lived in so you can only tour a small part of it.  Apparently, it was one of the frequent meeting places of Prince Charles and Camilla during their 30+ year affair.  Not my favorite historical fact about this place.  Far more important, and less scandalous, things happened here.  For instance, the discovery of the gas Oxygen.

                                                              See...








Leah in the garden in front of Bowood house.
                     Kind of cool, right?




















The kids really enjoyed the art work.  Leah was very concerned about the mother in this statue.  It was titled "The Distressed Mother."  


Before we left we managed to squeeze in some time on the trampoline.



And some time playing in the fall leaves.














While it wasn't quite the pumpkin patch experience I've been so sad about missing out on this year.  It was still a pretty good substitute.  It felt like a wonderful fall day spent with my four favorite people, and there were pumpkins once we got home, but more on that in my next post.  I hope everyone had a wonderful fall weekend full of beauty and fun family time like we did!  Happy Fall Ya'll!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment